Friday, March 8, 2013

Tribute to a young journalist, Maya Jackson Randall


Maya J. Randall
 
It is always sad when a young person loses a battle with life. I am particularly saddened at the news that my friend, Harold Jackson recently lost his daughter, Maya. to a rare form of leukemia. Maya was a colleague --  a consumer finance reporter at the Wall Street Journal.

I am saddened because Harold has been a lifelong friend. We met as high school students at the Southern Regional Press Institute at Savannah State University. We both pursued media careers. Harold surpassed me in education, having earned a Ph.D. in communications. He runs his own international PR/marketing firm in Atlanta.

I am saddened because Maya is just three years older than my own daughter, Shelby. Even though I've known Maya's father all these years, Shelby and I met Maya for the first time about a year ago when Maya and I both were speakers at the still-strong Press Institute in Savannah. My friend Harold introduced me as the keynote speaker that day.

I am saddened because, in addition to her husband, Jeremy, Maya leaves behind a son who will not grow up with his mother's loving care.

I am saddened because the voice of one of the nation's best reporters has been silenced. (Read about Maya's award-winning work in tributes below.)

Maya's friends have set up a fund to fight cancer in her honor.

Here are links to notes about Maya. Blessings to the Jackson and Randall families.

Tributes to Maya
http://www.gofundme.com/mjrmf
http://www.talkingbiznews.com/2/her-editor-remembers-maya-jackson-randall 



1 comment:

  1. It is always difficult when someone passes away. The thought of a young woman who appeared to have potential to make even more of a difference in this world - to lose her... it's very sad. My condolences to you and her family; and may you always have Harold as your lifelong friend.

    ReplyDelete