Monday, March 4, 2013

Just getting started

I am a veteran journalist, newsroom leader and media diversity advocate. I care about news, community issues and I am an eternal learner. I plan to share articles and commentary about issues I care about from my perch in Montgomery, Ala.

I have written Sunday columns in the Montgomery Advertiser for almost nine years. Now it is time to write for myself and a broader audience.

I retired from daily journalism in March 2013, which now gives me the opportunity to opine on topics without fear of conflict of interest. I'm not a particularly political person, perhaps because as a journalist I've had to avoid partisan activities.

I am married, with one adult daughter and, for just over a year, my husband and I have been taking care of Penny, an aging Beagle who was left with us one Christmas by daughter Shelby. I'm sure Penny will creep into my writing because she is such a big part of our lives.

My husband, Willie, is a disabled veteran of the Vietnam War. He has dedicated a lot of his time to helping other vets navigate the Veterans Administration bureaucracy so they can get their benefits.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Wanda, I am here by way of Stacy Hawkins Adams who posted you on her facebook wall. I have the feeling that you will be writing/posting on subjects that interest me, therefore, I will visit on occasion. I am a fellow blogger who has a slight addiction to blog reading. It's always nice to stumble upon someone who has quality material; be it serious, funny,current events, personal, etc. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete